Authentic Blue Ridge Barn Wood allows for a fusion between rugged, agrarian culture and modern, urban lifestyles. Exposure to the elements through the decades has produced a mixed hardwood siding product with unrivaled character and variety. The natural weathered patina ranges through shades of brown and grays with each board having unique and naturally weathered qualities.
The look, feel and history behind the wood tells a valuable story about commitment to sustainable design, respect for the past and protection of the remaining forest lands in America.
Barn Wood Information
Patina: Exposure to the elements through the decades has produced wood with unrivaled character and variety. The natural weathered patina ranges through shades of brown and grays with each board having unique and naturally weathered qualities.
- Natural Sepia: Warm-toned brown boards, generally from the interior of the barn
- Southern Gary: Cooler-toned gray boards, generally from the exterior of the barn
- Organic Mosaic: A mix of brown and gray boards
- Shabby Chic: This material is historic heart pine decking with circle saw marks and residual non-lead white and (some) green paint. Wood is tight grained with small knots.
Mixed Hardwoods. There are countless different varieties of hardwoods. Several varieties of oak, chestnut, ash, maple, cherry, poplar, hickory, beech, and birch make up the bulk of most orders. We had over 126 commercial varieties of hardwoods in our forest and this rich diversity contributes to the unique character of authentic barn wood. Some of the species, like chestnut, are now extinct and are only available from reclaimed sources in our region.
The Shabby Chic variety is from historical old growth antique heart pine rather than hardwoods.
- Reclaimed Authentic Barn Wood can be provided in different stages from visually de-nailed, generally sorted but otherwise as-is, to milled and nail-ready.
- For the nail-ready material, we plane the back to a uniform thickness yielding 5/8", 3/4" or 7/8".
- We then straight line the edges before running a ship lap profile on the material. Mixed widths or a fixed width from 3" to 8" is available. For mixed width packages, there will be a maximum of 3 standard widths provided.
- Mixed lengths will always be provided, generally with a minimum length of 2'.
- Custom dimension and milling specifications are available upon request.